[Scribus] Linux's font system

wtb41 wtb
Mon Dec 4 20:47:14 CET 2006

Jan wrote:
>You talk about *4* fonts. In a usual system, you have about 400 and more at
>hand. It's no fun to build the font metrics for that many fonts any time X
is
>started. That's why there is a disk cache which is updated only on font
>installation.

My reply: I see your point about the cache, but you and I seem to differ as
to where the
font "installation" process begins and ends. As to System fonts, I say font
installation ends
before the system is booted, and as to Personal fonts, I say font
installation for application Z
ends before application Z is launched. I contend that font installation is
merely a font-file
location (or placement) process--putting the font files where the system or
an application
will find them. Such a placement process involves no cache (neither building
a cache nor
consulting a cache).