[Scribus] Scribus PDF and PitStop 6.52

Plinnell mrdocs
Fri Aug 18 21:16:10 CEST 2006

On Friday 18 August 2006 18:45, Henrik Winzell wrote:
> Hi all Scribusfolks!
>
> I've just started out a advertisement-project for a company. The ad
> contains three EPS-pictures and some text. Now, when it's ready for
> print (atleast I think it would be...) there are some problems for
> the local newspaper to pre-flight my PDF. They are running PitStop
> Professional 6.52 on their Macs, and I've done my PDF/X-3 in
> Scribus 1.2.4.1. PitStop reports three errors and one caution in
> the pre-flight:
>
> Error - Embedded font OzHandicraftBT-Roman is not subsetted (443x)
> Error - Embedded font Courier10PitchBT-Roman isnot subsetted (34x)
> Error - ICCBased is used (3x)

This is a conflict between the requirements of PDF/X-3 and the PitStop
profile which the newspaper has selected.

PDF/X-3 *requires* both full embedding of fonts and ICC based colors.
Scribus will not export PDF/X-3 without both of the functions
enabled.

Why are you using PDF/X-3 ?

The docs specifically recommend against using PDF/X-3 *unless* you
have positive confirmation your printer or upstream handler can
handle it.

> Caution - Effective resolution of color or grayscale image is
> larger than 256 dpi (3x)

A newspaper may not want higher resolution in images as downscaling
later on may not give good printed results.
> - - -
> When I've subsetted my fonts and turned all ICC-profiles OFF
> (except for the printer), the pre-flight is ok, but when they're
> trying to print it out, it doesn't work... What do You think I have
> done wrong?
>
> Regards
> Henrik from Sweden

I would need to know more info about how they are trying to print the
file.

Are they trying to import it into Quark X-press, then print ? Bad idea
and this is specifically recommended not do this in the docs.

See:
http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=prepress
http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=print3

Are they trying to print from an older version of Acrobat ? I
recommend 6.0+ with Scribus. Sometimes Acro 5 has issues, not often
though.

What version of MacOS and what kind of printer ?

Exact model numbers  and versions of all of the above are very helpful
to diagnose this issue.

Please feel free to contact me off list to view the file and do my own
PitStop tests.

Hope that helps,

Peter