[Scribus] EXTREME speed and other issues with 1.3.3.3

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Fri Aug 11 00:39:52 CEST 2006

Am Freitag, 11. August 2006 00:16 schrieb Plinnell:
> On Friday 11 August 2006 00:05, Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > maybe one of the developers can explain what's going on my machine.
> > I have Scribus 1.2.4.1, 1.2.5, 1.3.3.3 and 1.3.4cvs installed.
> > While the speed issues with 1.2x and text are as ever (acceptable),
> > it's almost impossible to do anything useful with 1.3.3.3. Simply
> > opening a dialog or selecting an item takes literally minutes. And
> > this is no huge file, three pages, one of them still empty, the
> > other ones with a few text frames, some of which contain only a few
> > words plus some empty image frames.
> >
> > It can't be a memory issue, since it happens even with no other app
> > open, and I have 1.5 GB of RAM.
> >
> > And not only that, ALL Scribus versions here (SuSE 10.1) corrupt
> > files when saving, or "forget" to save changes. I must have lost a
> > whole day of work already due to this behaviour. Has anyone made
> > similar experiences? I assume this must be a SuSE 10.1 bug, because
> > I didn't see any of these issues before on older versions.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Christoph
>
> Hi,
>
> No issues here and I have been testing your files from the bugs you
> posted. Mind you I am running 2 or 3 versions of Scribus concurrently
> and within the debugger 99% of the time - even when doing real work.
> I have 1GB installed and often lots of apps running too.
>
> Have you updated Qt or video drivers ? I have the stock X-org drivers
> and performance is fine.
>
> There are no known issues with either the Qt which came with 10.1 or
> the Qt updated when 3.5.3 came out. There was one instance of Qt
> packages which came out of the KDE backports which did cause
> slowdowns on one of the dev's machines. Reverting to the earlier
> version solved the issue.
>
> First thing is to move, not trash .scribus.
>
> Second test create a new test user and login and see if the speed
> issue is still there. If not, this suggests a window manager.
>
> run rpm -qa qt3 and post it.
>
> We've had no other slowdowns reported on Suse.
>
> This might be a good case for an IRC chat to try and diagnose it
> further.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Peter

Hi Peter,

rpm -qa qt3
qt3-3.3.5-58.3

The strange thing is can run lots of other apps simultaneously without any
issue. Having open OO.o with a 200 page text, including heavy formatting and
lots of images, and editing a 40 MB image in GIMP, while running Seamonkey
with 12 tabs open and writing emails with KMail is no issue at all. I can
even watch a movie or listen to some music, but 1.3.3.3 simply crawls with
nothing else running besides KDE.

I'm really at a loss here.

Christoph