[Scribus] EXTREME speed and other issues with 1.3.3.3

Plinnell mrdocs
Fri Aug 11 00:16:45 CEST 2006

On Friday 11 August 2006 00:05, Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> maybe one of the developers can explain what's going on my machine.
> I have Scribus 1.2.4.1, 1.2.5, 1.3.3.3 and 1.3.4cvs installed.
> While the speed issues with 1.2x and text are as ever (acceptable),
> it's almost impossible to do anything useful with 1.3.3.3. Simply
> opening a dialog or selecting an item takes literally minutes. And
> this is no huge file, three pages, one of them still empty, the
> other ones with a few text frames, some of which contain only a few
> words plus some empty image frames.
>
> It can't be a memory issue, since it happens even with no other app
> open, and I have 1.5 GB of RAM.
>
> And not only that, ALL Scribus versions here (SuSE 10.1) corrupt
> files when saving, or "forget" to save changes. I must have lost a
> whole day of work already due to this behaviour. Has anyone made
> similar experiences? I assume this must be a SuSE 10.1 bug, because
> I didn't see any of these issues before on older versions.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Christoph

Hi,

No issues here and I have been testing your files from the bugs you
posted. Mind you I am running 2 or 3 versions of Scribus concurrently
and within the debugger 99% of the time - even when doing real work.
I have 1GB installed and often lots of apps running too.

Have you updated Qt or video drivers ? I have the stock X-org drivers
and performance is fine.

There are no known issues with either the Qt which came with 10.1 or
the Qt updated when 3.5.3 came out. There was one instance of Qt
packages which came out of the KDE backports which did cause
slowdowns on one of the dev's machines. Reverting to the earlier
version solved the issue.

First thing is to move, not trash .scribus.

Second test create a new test user and login and see if the speed
issue is still there. If not, this suggests a window manager.

run rpm -qa qt3 and post it.

We've had no other slowdowns reported on Suse.

This might be a good case for an IRC chat to try and diagnose it
further.

Hope that helps,

Peter