[Scribus] cannot select text in PDF created from Scribus

PLinnell mrdocs
Wed Apr 26 02:19:46 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 25 April 2006 22:48, Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> On 25 Apr 2006 at 20:22, Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
> > If you embed all fonts, it should work. At least it does under
> > Linux.
>
> OK. From what othere are saying it seems that it currently does not
> work under Windows.

<snip>

Let's be clear - embedding on Win32 works... There is no bug.

It depends on the fonts.

Where folks get fooled is the large majority of fonts which are
shipped with Windows XP and Windows 2000 are in fact True Type/Open
Type Fonts.  They have a .ttf file extention, but examine them closer
and they are Open Type fonts.

Open Type fonts cannot be fully embedded, but are converted to
outlines upon export. This is to allow Open Type to work with PDF 1.3
among other reasons.

I just tested this because of a bug report and I can say definitively
you *can* embed fonts on Win32 - both some True Type and all Type 1
fonts.

On one level, the Open Type format can be thought of as a 'wrapper'
around both Type Type font internals *and*  postscript outlines.
Also, an Open Type font can in theory contain both.

That is greatly oversimplifying the features of Open Type fonts. Most
of the Open Type fonts which contain postscript outlines usually have
an .otf extention.

Yep, clear as mud :)

A primer on different font formats:
http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/opentype/index_font_formats.html