[Scribus] Using scribus at multiple sites to edit one document

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Mon Apr 10 23:15:59 CEST 2006

Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
> Am Montag, 10. April 2006 20:44 schrieb Calum Polwart:
>
>> Not sure how to describe what I may want to be able to do - but I'll try
>> - then you can all laugh and I can forget about it for a few years...
>>
>> Two of us 'edit' a newsletter.  Strictly speaking my colleague edits,
>> and I do the DTP.  Then being an editor he gets the lay-ed out version
>> and changes things... ...at the moment that's done by email, so he sends
>> me an email saying - please change paragraph 4 on page 6 to... and I
>> manually tweak...
>>
>> What I'd like to do is let him edit the sla file directly, now that
>> there is a suitable windows version...  In itself that's easy enough -
>> there's a function to 'bundle it all up' and send it to him (can't
>> remember proper name).  The files are huge (60-90Mb?) so it would be on
>> CD.  He could edit it, re-write to CD and send back to me to do final
>> DTP bits and send to printers... all a bit 'old fashioned'.  He lives
>> 300 miles away.
>>
>> So what's the modern electronic way?  Can I put the files on a server
>> and somehow give him access.  I tend to find even with the images on a
>> Samba Server I get 'missing image' messages a lot, with big red X's -
>> obviously something with the Samba Path goes astray.  Would scribus cope
>> with a file remotely hosted? How would I host it? Would it involve
>> downloading the whole 60-90Mb each and every time a file is opened?
>>
> provided both of you have the same fonts installed (under the same name) or,
> more specifically, the fonts used in the sla file, you don't need to exchange
> the images all the time. If you do the layout work and your colleague does
> the text work, you can send the file back and forth without the images. What
> is important is that you always save the file back to the original directory
> to make sure the paths to the pictures remain intact.

If you had access to a server you could both use that, perhaps having a
self-contained directory for each newsletter. As Christoph says, though,
you would likely very quickly not want to waste time repeatedly sending
images back and forth. Remember that the contents of a text frame can be
saved as a text file, which entails considerably less overhead
transporting -- could even be sent as an email attachment if not too big.

Greg