[Scribus] Using scribus at multiple sites to edit one document

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Mon Apr 10 20:55:05 CEST 2006

Am Montag, 10. April 2006 20:44 schrieb Calum Polwart:
> Not sure how to describe what I may want to be able to do - but I'll try
> - then you can all laugh and I can forget about it for a few years...
>
> Two of us 'edit' a newsletter.  Strictly speaking my colleague edits,
> and I do the DTP.  Then being an editor he gets the lay-ed out version
> and changes things... ...at the moment that's done by email, so he sends
> me an email saying - please change paragraph 4 on page 6 to... and I
> manually tweak...
>
> What I'd like to do is let him edit the sla file directly, now that
> there is a suitable windows version...  In itself that's easy enough -
> there's a function to 'bundle it all up' and send it to him (can't
> remember proper name).  The files are huge (60-90Mb?) so it would be on
> CD.  He could edit it, re-write to CD and send back to me to do final
> DTP bits and send to printers... all a bit 'old fashioned'.  He lives
> 300 miles away.
>
> So what's the modern electronic way?  Can I put the files on a server
> and somehow give him access.  I tend to find even with the images on a
> Samba Server I get 'missing image' messages a lot, with big red X's -
> obviously something with the Samba Path goes astray.  Would scribus cope
> with a file remotely hosted? How would I host it? Would it involve
> downloading the whole 60-90Mb each and every time a file is opened?
>
> For Word Users - i think Office 2003 has this type of shared document
> feature - although I have no idea how its actually used...

Hi Calum,

provided both of you have the same fonts installed (under the same name) or,
more specifically, the fonts used in the sla file, you don't need to exchange
the images all the time. If you do the layout work and your colleague does
the text work, you can send the file back and forth without the images. What
is important is that you always save the file back to the original directory
to make sure the paths to the pictures remain intact.

> Calum

Cheers,

Christoph