[Scribus] Scribus in the Art Lab

pixelnate pixelnate
Tue Apr 4 18:41:00 CEST 2006

Ludi Maciel wrote:
> Yeah, usually the TI guys (that sold their souls to the Ballmer in the Gates
> of 'devel').
> All this buzz around that thread was already expected by me.
> I had similar arguing many times with different people, but the most annoying
> one, was with the self-called 'Art Director' of the LM from Brazil.
> To cut right to the chase, the guy simply doesn't understands that Scribus is
> just a tool (*very* handful indeed) and you could easily create a magazine
> using it (in association with others tools/programs).
> Some people just try to find some little tiny (virtual) gap to say "Oh, this
> is a peace of shxx, trow it away, PhotoChoop 666 do wayyyy better".
> The worse is that I'm still having this kind of conversation even in my PG
> (but they at least are from AM, so that explain the alienation :)
>
> This has something to do with the recognition of design (and it's sub-groups)
> as a profession IMHO (but this is another endless conversation) .
I wasn't trying to be an Adobe or commercial vendor apologist. I would
much rather work in Ubuntu on my AMD box than get on the Mac. In fact, I
would leave the entire Mac world behind me if I could get the Adobe CS
suite to run in Ubuntu/Kubuntu or get ahold of an equivalent toolset. I
know the tools don't make the designer, but they do _enable_ the
designer who knows what they are doing. When I am finished with my mondo
Illustrator file, I will post an image, and you will be able to see what
I am doing that requires Illustrator. If somebody can enlighten me on
how to duplicate what I have done there, I will not only eat my words,
but I will make a tutorial to build it with OSS tools.

OSS tools are certain to woo users away from the world of proprietary
software and vendor lock-in. That is why they are so scared of linux,
et. al. The reason why I got involved in this discussion was because I
see so many people screaming that all of the open source apps everywhere
are always the best tools for every job, and the fact of the matter is,
that is simply not the case. This professor seemed to me to be one of
those kind of people. I mean, why would he go and trash everything he
had just to load Ubuntu on the machines with all OSS tools, when he
could have installed all of those same tools on the Mac with OSX and the
students would also have been able to work in Photoshop, etc. when the
job required it. Sure there are some X11 issues, but they don't really
get in the way all that much. As I see it, he robbed Peter to pay Paul,
when he didn't really need to.

~Nate