[Scribus] Scribus in the Art Lab

Łukasz Jernaś deejay1
Tue Apr 4 19:22:21 CEST 2006

Dnia wtorek, 4 kwietnia 2006 18:41, pixelnate napisa?:
> OSS tools are certain to woo users away from the world of proprietary
> software and vendor lock-in. That is why they are so scared of linux,
> et. al. The reason why I got involved in this discussion was because I
> see so many people screaming that all of the open source apps everywhere
> are always the best tools for every job, and the fact of the matter is,
> that is simply not the case.

You're right here - and I think nobody here thinks that that if you can't do
something in OSS apps you must live with it - I always use the best tool to
do my job (as long as I can afford it...). But the overall mentatlity is that
one must use *shop/*studio for thing X, just because it's commercial
and "industry standard" not acknowledging that there are other tools that
also get the job done (like buying 6000 MS Office Pro licenses when 90% of
users just use Word for really simple files, 8% Excel and  2% other apps from
the package - true story :/)
Also note that in the OSS world feedback is greatly appreciated, because most
of the projects are rather young when compared to the commercial ones (note
that Photoshop's history is going back to the year 1990!).
Regarding the article - university is there to teach you the thing you need to
know about your job, not the tools - it's up to anyones will to choose the
right tools for him - for example I can't get used to PS interface, I'm still
searching for things I've used before and it's badly designed from my point
of view (once again: only mine, 99% of the users can like it). If someone's
teaching graphic design he should also teach other apps - and I mean teach
and not just show that they exist. If anyone thinks that one should bring
knowledge of PS from school he's wrong - it doesn't bring them real life
experience anyway, work conditions are so different from school ones that
it's easier for me to learn Japanese ;)

Oh, I forgot to mention it - if you miss something in an app post a
bug/feature request, help write some code or give some testcases (I've seen
you are willing to provide one example - that's good) - without feedback we
can't improve, but with feedback I mean something serious not some random
bashing like other people do...

--
?ukasz [DeeJay1] Jerna?

P.S. If you see some trademarks above they are of course registered by the
proper owners, they not used for commercial purposes, I do not endorse them,
I do not work for any of those companies nor my relatives work there.
P.S.S. This should keep some of their lawyers from sending me threat
letters ;)
Dateiname   : nicht verf?gbar
Dateityp    : application/pgp-signature
Dateigr??e  : 191 bytes