[Scribus] Another book done with Scribus...

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Sun Oct 23 01:53:00 CEST 2005

Hi Kirt,

Loki schrieb:

>> There's no need to repeat the mistakes of others.
>> No one cares about widows or orphans nowadays
>

> Did you see any widows and orphans in my text?

No, it's good work!

> Or all y'all just
> digressing into a tangent? ;-D

I think the responses were caused by Thomas' comment quoted above. They
weren't related to your work :)

> It's interesting, I try to avoid widows and orphans in general, though
> not aggressively. This was before I even learned the terms, which I
> didn't know until I looked 'em up just now. ;-D
>
> I just thought it looked bad, on an intuitive level, but I do not that
> I've seen a lot of texts that ignore that rule...

You are somehow ery close to the point! Good typography is, when you
don't realise it has been applied. If your intuition tells you what
looks good and what does not, your taste is a good guide. Unfortunately,
many people are lacking this kind of taste, and that's why there are
rules/guidelines for typesetting. Think about typography as something
like spelling: Bad spelling is when you contiuously stumble across words
written strangely or unexpected, whereas good spelling means you don't
even notice that rules have been applied to the written text.

Actually, spelling and typography are two sides of a single coin!
Legibility is the magic word here!

Cheers,

Christoph