[Scribus] Linux Font Editor?

John Jordan johnxj
Mon Oct 3 07:39:42 CEST 2005

On 3 Oct 2005, at 1:21, Christoph Sch?fer wrote:

> Why don't you try google, yahoo or anything else? Try "ipa + fonts +
> truetype" or something like that. I did and got lots of useful links
> to fonts *for free*.

This has already been discussed in this thread. None of the fonts
that appear with such searches are acceptable. All are broken, one
way or another.

> Another point, quoting your original posting: ...
> A lot of people here are trying to help you, and LaTeX is definitely a
> good if not the ideal solution to yours and other student's problems,
> as Robert has pointed out. That's all. You should have mentioned that
> you are looking for fonts you want to recommend to your fellow
> students for use in (shudder) Word.

I need a font that non-Linux users can use. It must be properly
coded, unlike all the "free" fonts that are available on the net. I
share your "shudder" when it comes to Word, but that is the reality
today. And, after all, if a font will work with Word, it will probably
work with anything in Linux as well, so why argue about it?

> > Also, when viewing the list on CTAN it showed tipa10, tipa12,
> > tipa17, and so on for a long list. Are these point sizes? If so,
> > why?
>
> Didn't check this myself, but I'm almost sure these are LaTeX fonts,
> which are bitmaps, whereas Type 1 would be vector fonts.

The reference in this thread was to PostScript Type I fonts created
by Rei Fukui. I assumed these were vector fonts. Evidently the
page I found had bitmap versions of the vector fonts. Or maybe the
fonts do not exist as vector fonts. I've googled and googled and
can't find any further references to clarify what these Rei Fukui
fonts are. Also can't find any place that allows me to download
them.