[Scribus] Linux Font Editor?

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Sun Oct 2 17:29:01 CEST 2005

John Jordan wrote:

>On 1 Oct 2005, at 17:46, Bart Alberti wrote:
>

>>I agree. LaTeX is well worth learning and learning well (it produces
>>exquisite matter). After all, you are a student of linguistics. You
>>started somewhere, didn't you? You mastered the IPA symbols and their
>>use and pronunciation which is more than I can do who barely speak my
>>own (English-American) language well. You need a TEXT, yes! Study it!
>>

>It ain't gonna work. I did have TeX and LaTeX installed at one time.
>Couldn't even figure out how to launch either one of them, let alone
>use them.

The beauty of Linux is you don't have to do anything you don't want to
(even Linux itself). We hear from many that, for them, Scribus is "too
hard" or "won't do what I want it to do."
LaTeX doesn't "launch". It's just sitting in the background of your
computer waiting to be used, usually from the command line.
The basic steps are:
1. making a text file with an editor, with name ending in '.tex'. *This
is where all the learning is -- knowing the syntax and structure that
LaTeX needs.*
2. in the command line, 'latex myfile.tex' or 'latex myfile'.
3. display your processed file with 'xdvi myfile.dvi' or 'xdvi myfile'
(latex knows it's looking for a '.tex' file, xdvi knows its looking for
a '.dvi' file)
4. print with 'dvips myfile' to default printer, or make ps file with
'dvips -o myfile' (to make myfile.ps)
5. make a pdf with 'pdflatex myfile' (turns myfile.tex into myfile.pdf)

When I'm tweaking a file I will type 'latex myfile; xdvi myfile' on one
line then just use bash history to repeat after successive tweakings.

Greg