[Scribus] How best to import a list and apply styles

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Mon Nov 21 21:34:31 CET 2005

Hi Calum,

Calum Polwart schrieb:
> OK, before I spend weeks expereimenting I thought I'd see if someone can
> suggest the best way to import a list:
>
> The list will be a long list of members (think along the lines of your
> old paper phone directory) - name, address number etc.,.,.
>
> The data will come to me in excel format (it did last year) so I can
> then do whatever might be appropriate with it - import to ooo-calc and
> the save to CSV, mail merge to ooo-writer etc...
>
> Last year's directory was produced in MS Publisher (ouhc!)  and was
> mail-merged in, which works in Pub.  Scribus doesn't have mailmerge and
> I don't think it should - but how do I then achieve a layout like this:
>
> *Name*    Address                           /Telephone No/
> *Name*    Address                           /Telephone No
> /*Name*    Address                           /Telephone No
> /*Name*    Address                           /Telephone No
>
> /For those reading in plain text that is:
> <italic>[Telephone No]</italic>
>
> I've just checked with the editorial team and they are quite inistent
> that the in line formatting is needed.  (Otherwise a straight import
> from CSV would work!)
>
> There would seem to be three options:
> Import into Scribus and apply all the formatting by hand in scribus -
> which is a complete nightmare as this will wrap over several pages...
> Import column by column - but if an address takes up two lines then
> everyhting goes out of kilter.
> Import into another package - apply formatting and then import to
> scribus.  ooo-writer would be a good option (using mail-merge) - but
> then how can that be imported in and keep the formatting?
>
> Anyone got any good ideas?

Why don't you copy'n paste the table into OOo Draw than export as SVG
... you know the drill. Another possibility might be to export as PDF
and then import into scribus. A third option I can think of is exporting
to HTML. I have never tried this before, but Scribus' HTML import works
quite well, so you can at least give it a try.

> Calum

Cheers,

Christoph