[Scribus] How best to import a list and apply styles

Calum Polwart scribus
Tue Nov 22 20:26:19 CET 2005

Thanks as usual for the quick reply,

Christoph Sch?fer wrote:

>>There would seem to be three options:
>>Import into Scribus and apply all the formatting by hand in scribus -
>>which is a complete nightmare as this will wrap over several pages...
>>Import column by column - but if an address takes up two lines then
>>everyhting goes out of kilter.
>>Import into another package - apply formatting and then import to
>>scribus.  ooo-writer would be a good option (using mail-merge) - but
>>then how can that be imported in and keep the formatting?
>>
>>Anyone got any good ideas?
>>

>Why don't you copy'n paste the table into OOo Draw than export as SVG
>... you know the drill. Another possibility might be to export as PDF
>and then import into scribus.

These were options I considered as you are of course right - I know the
drill!  However, they are quite restriuctive - I expect this year's
directory to be over 8 pages and they are talking about possibly16 pages
- that means creating 16 tables - all of which need to be worked out
what will fit on a page and so forth.

>A third option I can think of is exporting
>to HTML. I have never tried this before, but Scribus' HTML import works
>quite well, so you can at least give it a try.

This was something I only found last night myself - however - it works
well for importing the 'core text' but not any formatting <b> </b>
etc... also html doesn't have mark-up for <tab /> which would be needed
to make all the 'columns' fall into alignment...

Calum