[Scribus] PDF Printing problem

PLinnell mrdocs
Sun Nov 20 19:21:20 CET 2005

On Sunday 20 November 2005 18:16, Martin Langeland wrote:
> Hi All,
> I am  trying to get a 36 page booklet from Open
> Office 2.00 beta through Scribus 1.3.1 to a pdf 1.5 file on a suse
> 9.3/64 machine.

Why PDF 1.5 ? - Unless you want to push layered content into the PDF,
there is little gain  -yet. I say yet, as there are things on the
roadmap where this would matter.

> The file appears on the screen beautifully in Acrobat 7. But when
> I print in Acrobat it insists on single sided printing.
> Open Office will print duplex.
> Scribus will go through the motions but nothing comes out of the
> printer. I have re-installed my printer with no change.
> My question is where do I set the choice for the printer duplex
> option? Can't find anything in Acrobat. There appears to be
> something in  print setup in Scribus but it has no effect on my
> machine.

Did you compile Scribus with cups support ? If, so there should be an
options button which should give you a duplex option if CUPS thinks
you have one. Note, duplex and landscape seems to not work often in
CUPS from my experience.

See: http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=print1

To verify CUPS go to Help > About and look for C C T F A

The 2nd C indicates CUPS support. A * means its not compiled with CUPS
support.

In Acrobat, I find much better better to print using Kprinter instead
of relying on the lpr command which is the default. Simply type in
kprinter and you have a nice gui which pops up and will give you
access to all your printers options as understood by cups. You can
use the 'kprinter' command with *any* application where you can name
the print command.

> Does this sound like it is entirely my printer drivers (HP
> Officejet 6110 all-in-one)? Or am I missing something in the
> software?
>
> Many thanks as always for this forum. I particularly enjoy the
> current discussion of book printers.
>
> -- ml

Hope that helps,

Peter