[Scribus] Docks vs. Windows

PLinnell mrdocs
Mon Nov 14 11:38:55 CET 2005

On Monday 14 November 2005 07:34, Brian Burger wrote:
> On 11/13/05, Heimdall Midgard <heimdalle at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm just wondering what the opinion of the list is on having
> > Scribus use docks instead of windows for its tools or "palettes".
> >
> > During a recent "job" (I wasn't paid for it), by far the most
> > tedious part was having to constantly rearrange the windows to
> > let me see the results of, say, adjusting the dimensions of a
> > frame.
> >
> > I could imagine working with dockable palettes that would fold
> > away when I click on their title bars (or a dedicated arrow
> > button). If I want to access the palettes again, I just click on
> > the corresponding "docked" tab.
>
> If you're using Scribus in Gnome, there's a very cool little Gnome
> trick I discovered last week: you can set Gnome up so that if you
> double-click on the title bar of a window, it "rolls up" into the
> title bar - and this works with all apps in Gnome, not just the
> Gnome-native ones... so it works in Scribus, OOo, the GIMP, and
> everything.
>
> To enable it: System menu --> Preferences --> Windows, then switch
> "Titlebar Action" from "Maximise" (the default) to "Roll Up". (NB
> this is all in Gnome 2.12 in Ubuntu 5.10, not sure about other
> distros/versions of Gnome) To re-open the window, just double-click
> on the title bar again.
>
> It's not quite as good as application-native docking, but it's
> still a huge help in managing all the windows that some apps need
> open!
>
> Brian.

Hi,

This can be enabled in KDE and blackbox too. I use the same trick a
lot. It is also known in window manager settings as 'shade' like a
window shade.

Franz actually tried to implement this, but it did not work well for
various reasons. This will be much easier to do in Qt 4, as the
native widgets have functionality similarity to the docks in kivio.

Peter