[Scribus] PDF-related development

Craig Ringer craig
Mon Nov 7 14:25:20 CET 2005

http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/pdf/index_reference.html

>Further, I have Fedora Core 3.  If I do start working on the project
>in context, can I think about porting the stuff to Mac _without_
>having Mac?  I mean, can I hope to write portable code in Qt that
>compiles without a hitch on Mac and generates _no_ errors?

I suspect anything from Qt or POSIX is OK. Anything else will require
careful checking. Note that there are significant behaviour differences
between Qt/X11 and Qt/Mac in some areas, possibly imposed by choices in
Mac OS X . One of the areas this shows up in is window focus; others may
also exist. Andreas will know more.

If you're targeting Qt/X11 on Fink, rather than native Qt/Mac, it's
easier, but Apple has done their best to ensure X11 is a clunky second
class citizen on Mac OS X so Mac users will understandably complain.

You might also be interested to know that Sourceforge.net runs Mac OS X
server systems in its compile farm. These are available for access by
developers on sf.net . While Mac OS X Server is certainly not the same
beast as Mac OS X, it's similar enough that doing builds on it might
well help you make sure your code at least compiles on Mac OS X. If only
Apple provided a cross-compile environment :S . I haven't used this
build farm service myself, so all  I can do is point it out as possibly
useful.

>My focus area is reading of encrypted PDFs but with stronger
>encryption.  As I already know that XPDF already supports this.  But,
>do you think making the encryption _stronger_ is not going to make any
>difference to the functional aspects - rendering, etc.?

In what sense do you want to make the encryption stronger? With what
goals? What's the problem you're trying to address with this stronger
encryption? (Security is about a LOT more than algorithmic crypto strength).

--
Craig Ringer