[Scribus] Page numbering revisited

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Wed Nov 2 23:20:18 CET 2005

Hi Craig,

>>You're right. All bases covered.
>>Great job!

Agree, this is a major leap forwards!

> :) Its not finished yet in terms of automation, but the above certainly works.
> It also provides for reversed numbering.. ie pages 0-9 can be numbered 10-1.
> This is currently inactive, for today at least.
>
> Some questions tho..
>
> Page 0-4 being numbered i-v
> Page 5-9 being numbered 1-5
> Page 10-14 being numbered A-E
>
> If a page is added after page 4, should the new page 5 be in the 1st section,
> or the first in the 2nd section.. and then how should the section numbering
> change.
>
> When a page is added within a section, say, after page 6. Should the 2nd
> section automatically be extended to be 5-10, and the 3rd be from 11-15? or
> the 2nd remain at 5-9 and the 3rd become 10-15?
>
> regards
> Craig

In my opinion, the best way would be an enhanced "insert page" dialog
with reasonable defaults. This means adjusting the page numbering by
adding up the total number of pages:

 > If a page is added after page 4, should the new page 5 be in the 1st
section

Yes, reasonable default.

 > When a page is added within a section, say, after page 6. Should the 2nd
 > section automatically be extended to be 5-10, and the 3rd be from 11-15?

Yes, reasonable default.

The dialog would become more complex, of course, but lookig at how word
processors handle these things, it may not be possible to find an "easy"
solution. If the feature is properly described in the docs and the tool
tips, it should be no serious problem ...

Cheers,

Christoph