[Scribus] pdf table import

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Thu May 19 20:41:14 CEST 2005

VANEK Petr wrote:

>>On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 12:02 -0500, Gregory Pittman wrote:
>>

>>>I wonder whether there could be consideration of developing
>>>

>>an ability
>>

>>>for Scribus to import from an SQL database.
>>>

>>That's an ideal use for the Python scripting system. I've done a few
>>simple examples, but never had one I was satisfied was release quality
>>(and won't until I have text metrics).
>>
>>Still, you can already do a lot from a DB, and there are many good
>>database interfaces for Python.
>>

>yep. this is the area which is scripter for ;)
>
>I've got some informations from one local guy which is implementing
>semi-automatic postgresql -> scribus workflow via scripter. He promised
>to publish his scripts as a "success story" after its stabilization.
>
>BTW I've tested the scripter with mysql and oracle python modules. It's
>working. Simple :)

Petr --
This is good to know.  For a situation where someone is publishing a
table with periodic updates, an SQL database would be ideal input and
source for Scribus.
Needless to say, it ought to be somewhere on the wiki ASAP, even if it's
a "work in progress."
And Craig --
while the text metrics may be one of the Holy Grails (hmm, can 'Holy
Grail' ever be plural?) we're hoping for some day, I don't think it's a
show-stopper.  If I could import an entire table from an SQL database
easily, I don't think I would mind tweaking the font in Scribus
afterward.  I found when designing scribalbum.py that using a monospace
font allows one to develop (by trial and error, if nothing else) a
simple calculation for the space required for a given size (and type) of
font.

TPFKAG