[Scribus] XML format used in Scribus

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Sat May 14 20:41:54 CEST 2005

Craig Bradney wrote:

> You dont see many, if any,
>closed or open apps having import filters for future versions.

On the other hand, even now (and probably in the future), 1.3x+ will be
able to import 1.2x and below -- why should this be a one-way street?

>If you create a doc in 1.3, why would you want to even open it in 1.2.x?

Here is a practical scenario:  I have 1.3x, my friend has 1.2.2 (or
lower).  We are trying to collaborate. I send him my file, but he can't
open it.  I try to get him to upgrade, and like many, he can't seem to
figure out why he can't make the new version work.  Variation: I'm on
vacation, and would like to tweak a Scribus file on an old machine I
have that has Scribus on it.  Uh, oh.  It's 1.2.2, and I have no
internet access.

Scenario 2:  I have been working with Scribus a long time.  I spent a
lot of time in the past putting together something I saved in 1.1.x
format, and rather than redo that (I'm not even sure what was there),
I'd like to load this into my 1.5.x Scribus, but it says "unrecognized
format."

I've used, for example, Wordperfect, for many years on different
architectures, yet Wordperfect seems to be able to import ages old
versions of files, even though sometimes you need to help it recognize them.

What I think it comes down to is the issue of
intentionally/unintentionally setting up barriers to the use of (and
happiness with) Scribus.  A backup plan can always be to at least have a
parsable format so that some utility can help with problems, and maybe
even yield unanticipated benefits.

TPFKAG