[Scribus] XML format used in Scribus

Craig Bradney cbradney
Sat May 14 21:26:10 CEST 2005

On Saturday 14 May 2005 20:41, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> Craig Bradney wrote:
> > You dont see many, if any,
> >closed or open apps having import filters for future versions.
>
> On the other hand, even now (and probably in the future), 1.3x+ will be
> able to import 1.2x and below -- why should this be a one-way street?
>
> >If you create a doc in 1.3, why would you want to even open it in 1.2.x?
>
> Here is a practical scenario:  I have 1.3x, my friend has 1.2.2 (or
> lower).  We are trying to collaborate. I send him my file, but he can't
> open it.  I try to get him to upgrade, and like many, he can't seem to
> figure out why he can't make the new version work.  Variation: I'm on
> vacation, and would like to tweak a Scribus file on an old machine I
> have that has Scribus on it.  Uh, oh.  It's 1.2.2, and I have no
> internet access.

If you are going to collaborate, use 1.2.2. In this situation, you obviously
know what version your collaborator has. Theres no reason why Scribus 1.2.x
and 1.3.x couldnt survive on the same machine happily like they do now, in
fact, hopefully we can get the distros to include both as possible versions.

> Scenario 2:  I have been working with Scribus a long time.  I spent a
> lot of time in the past putting together something I saved in 1.1.x
> format, and rather than redo that (I'm not even sure what was there),
> I'd like to load this into my 1.5.x Scribus, but it says "unrecognized
> format."

1.3.x+ can and will open 1.1.x documents. This situation is the same as any
app usually supports.

> I've used, for example, Wordperfect, for many years on different
> architectures, yet Wordperfect seems to be able to import ages old
> versions of files, even though sometimes you need to help it recognize
> them.

As above, I never said 1.3.x wont open documents up to version 1.2.x. It still
opens from 0.4 upwards as far as I know, perhaps 0.6.

> What I think it comes down to is the issue of
> intentionally/unintentionally setting up barriers to the use of (and
> happiness with) Scribus.  A backup plan can always be to at least have a
> parsable format so that some utility can help with problems, and maybe
> even yield unanticipated benefits.

Theres no reason a forward compatible file loader cant be written for 1.2.x,
its just not something we are going to spend much or any time on. We want
1.3.x to become stable for general use, and to maintain 1.2.x further perhaps
until 1.2.3 (or even 1.2.4 if required).

Craig