[Scribus] quality images for press (digital camera? cheap/free online stock s? scan?)

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Thu May 5 01:12:22 CEST 2005

Gracia M. Littauer wrote:

>Sounds great. Can I do this with a dir of gimp corrected files & .tif
>saved or is it like gthumbimage & only works with .jpeg???
>

>>After a trip, I take pictures straight out of
>>the camera, run scribalbum.py, add captions and other comments and
>>print, that's it.
>>After a trip, I take pictures straight out of
>>the camera, run scribalbum.py, add captions and other comments and
>>print, that's it.

This will work with jpeg, tiff, png, and gif images.
Some cautions: at the moment the script is written strictly for files
ending in small letters - .jpg, .tif, .gif, .png; .pdf used to work, at
least for the first page of the PDF.  Haven't yet been able to get it
working for .svg files (different image process).
The last I checked, it worked only in 1.2.2cvs, not 1.3.x, due to
problems with the Scripter (specifically, sizing images to frame size
not working).

scribalbum.py sets up four staggered images on a US Letter page (to
leave space for notes), scribalbuma4.py puts eight on A4. In both, the
filename is a caption, directory name is at the top of the page.  You
need to run from within Scribus.

AFAIK, there isn't any limit to the number of images in a directory
(I've ended up with 50+ pages) -- Scribus looks a little sick processing
a big job, but it's never died on me.

TPFKAG