[Scribus] Success: compile Mac/Aqua from CVS without patches

Andreas Vox vox
Tue Mar 22 17:09:44 CET 2005

Jan Ulrich Hasecke wrote:
> Scribus is a must-have, I don't want to miss it. OpenOffice.org, TeX,
> Gimp and
> with a lesser degree Inkscape are other apps, I need to use. If they
> does not
> work well on a Powerbook, I'll have to buy something else.

TeX is no problem, there's also an Aqua version of LyX.
For OpenOffice I use NeoOffice although it's still on version 1.1
OpenOffice/X11 is usable also. Both version are slow, though
(usable, but not  snappy, opposed to LyX which is snappy and
  Scribus which is neither snappy nor slow)
Gimp and Inkscape have painless installers but use X11. Integration
is better than OpenOffice/X11 though.

Just my personal views using my PowerBook (1.3 MHz, 1GB RAM)

> If you ask me. Why a Powerbook? It's the look (I confess, working in
> marketing
> I want to impress people...;-) and I am curious to use a new OS.

Don't spoil your PowerBook by installing Linux! :-)
MacOSX is a complete BSD Unix system. Maybe the X11 integration improves
in the future, then that drawback would be gone.
MacOSX has perfect power management, softmodem support, and hardware
support. It "just works". And it's fun :-)

Ciao
/Andreas