[Scribus] [Patch] MacOSX native

Martin Costabel costabel
Sun Mar 13 19:48:19 CET 2005

Here are some comments on the MacOSX native version of Scribus as built
by the Fink scribus-aqua package, see my previous message:

The two packages scribus-aqua and qt3mac are, for Fink packages, still
rather rough around the edges. I did not check all the lines in the
package descriptions, only those that are needed for them to build. So
please don't publish these things too widely. They certainly will have
to be fixed in various ways. They can, however, be found on the Fink CVS
server, in the experimental/costabel directory. Eventual updates will be
found there.

What took me the longest was to beat Qt/Mac into submission. In
particular it was not quite obvious how to find a suitable set of
configure options and how to convince it to install things the Fink way.
For a definite Fink package, this will probably have to change again
considerably. But as a tool for building Scribus, it seems to be OK.

Concerning the Scribus application, here is first the good news: It
seems that with this version of 1.3cvs, the colors are displayed
correctly! There is also no problem with finding fonts. If one lists the
fonts directories in ~/.scribus/scribusfont13.rc, at least the
postscript fonts that can be used in X11 are seen also.

The bad news is that there are bugs with the window management. For
example, the Properties tool window ends up glued into the right upper
corner of the screen, its title bar hidden behind the screen menu bar,
so that it is practically unusable. There are problems with scrolling,
where the screen is sometimes not redrawn correctly. Tackling these
problems is far outside of my domain of knowledge. Someone with insight
in Mac programming, in particular also with Qt/Mac, is probably needed
here.

So whereas many things are working, this is not yet ready to be
unleashed onto the Mac user community. But I hope that the situation is
now such that the real problems can be attacked.

A final remark: The Scribus.app produced by the scribus-aqua package is,
of course, not a standalone application that can be distributed
independently. For running, it needs a lot of libraries from Fink. But
repackaging this differently, once it is working correctly, is a minor
difficulty, IMHO.

Enjoy!

--
Martin