[Scribus] Solaris 10 - getting really close

Craig Bradney cbradney
Mon Mar 7 00:21:24 CET 2005

On Monday 07 March 2005 00:08, Rainer Heilke wrote:
> Greetings, all.
>
> I'm not sure what changed in the last little while, but the newest CVS
> compiles under Solaris 10 SPARC. Thanks, guys! :-)
>
> Unfortunately, Scribus core dumps with a Segmentation Fault on start-up.
>
> >From watching the splash screen, this seems to happen when searching for
>
> fonts. Running freetype-config gives back 9.7.3, which seems a little
> odd, but maybe that's what it is supposed to say? I used the 2.1.9
> package from sunfreeware.com. Building freetype-2.1.9 directly works,
> but gives a pile of "dereferencing type-punned pointer" errors (and yes,
> that's spelled correctly--what is "type-punned"?). It did build
> (freetype-config gave the same version number). I then removed the
> Scribus directory, slurped down the CVS tree, and rebuilt Scribus. On
> start-up, it crashed at exactly the same point.
>
> Any ideas? We're getting closer, and that's a good sign. :-)

Typically the first guess is fonts. Scribus must be finding some fonts. Do you
have the ghostscript fonts installed, in particular Hershey? Nuke it if so.
Scribus uses X11 for font finding, and then your additional font paths, which
you wont have any of if you nuke your ~/.scribus/* prefs files.

Craig