[Scribus] Ideas on collaboration [was: How do you guys share scribu files for collaboration?]

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng
Tue Jun 21 07:46:23 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 13:23 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 13:13 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> > Yep. My guess is that OOo is doing that of sorts. Makes distribution
> > simpler though I can't tell how that will help in using it for a
> > CVS/SVN/RCS based system for diffing the txt.

> Well, it can potentially help with tracking content changes, but means
> that you have to deal with the additional complexity of version control
> for multiple files and/or "unpacking" a zipped file.

Actually, I was thinking, there would be the additional work of actually
_only_ putting the TXT into the svn/rcs etc server instead of the whole
file. The TXT and the formatting is what matters. The rest of the
pics/shots etc can be separate. A PDF of how the final one looks like is
fine if they just want to have a look. In The end, the TXT is what's
needed. (TM anyway)

> Again, something like Plone would be much better suited to that sort of
> job than a source version control system like CVS/SVN.

Plone, Well, in its powerful ability, also comes the complexity of it. I
personally don't have experience in using plone, but a site I go to
(IOSN.net) uses plone and I find navigating to be really painful. It's a
web-site filled up hierarchialy like a FS which makes it complex to
search for stuffs. (though some tell me it's common sense)

So.. what you're saying is Plone combined with WebDAV, but that still
doesn't begin to solve collaboration based on 1 complete document. What
you're saying, I think would be useful only if specific ppl are assigned
to specific tasks and does the pre-defined layouts themselves before
finally merging them together via the page->import feature(?). There's
not gonna be a whole lot of collaboration, if that's the case.

--
Ow Mun Heng
98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!