[Scribus] Ideas on collaboration [was: How do you guys share scribu files for collaboration?]

Steve Herrick estebandido
Tue Jun 21 05:21:37 CEST 2005

On 6/20/05, Christoph Sch?fer <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de> wrote:

> On the DTP side, it would be extremely useful if scribus could provide a
> database interface for text frames. If a text frame could be linked to a
> database entry, many restraints on productivity would be removed in a
> single step, especially if the whole process could be done via scripting.

If this were done, it might make sense to really push the distribution
model and make Scribus Internet-aware.  Writers could submit (and
edit) their pieces via a secure website as easily as webmail or a CMS
site.

The negative side to either version is that there's no way to apply
character styles (once we have them), because the information is
stored remotely and is presumably not editable through Scribus. You're
stuck with exactly one paragraph style per frame. Maybe this is OK for
really long and consistent documents, like catalogs.

There could be workarounds for this if the content passed through the
text filter, but my understanding is that it would be stored as an
text entry in a database, and not as an OOo file or anything like
that.

Steve
--
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time,
and your government when it deserves it.