[Scribus] Ideas on collaboration [was: How do you guys share scribu files for collaboration?]

Craig Ringer craig
Tue Jun 21 07:23:17 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 13:13 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> Got to see those bug reports :-) (No I-net currently)

Well, no web access anyway ;-)

> > > As some would say, the text are more important, and if Scribus can
> > > separate the TXT from the others then it would be great. Sort of like an
> > > OOo file which is zipped up XML, only that scribus zips up the TXT
> > > independent of all the layout/Pics/etc files. That would make diffs even
> > > simpler.
> >
> > It's an interesting idea... I'll be sure to mention it to malex. I'd
> > also be interested in /optionally/ being able to "bundle" linked images
> > and even fonts into a self-contained file that's easily mailed around
> > (not much more than collect-for-output zipped up, really).
>
> Yep. My guess is that OOo is doing that of sorts. Makes distribution
> simpler though I can't tell how that will help in using it for a
> CVS/SVN/RCS based system for diffing the txt. I'm assuming that the text
> is all that's important and the pics etc will come later. (They are
> easier to lay-out compared to the text)

Well, it can potentially help with tracking content changes, but means
that you have to deal with the additional complexity of version control
for multiple files and/or "unpacking" a zipped file.

Again, something like Plone would be much better suited to that sort of
job than a source version control system like CVS/SVN.

--
Craig Ringer