[Scribus] How do you guys share scribu files for collaboration?

Craig Ringer craig
Tue Jun 21 06:13:43 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 11:07 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 17:37 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:

> I guess I have to learn how to sub the text in gedit so that it can be
> imported into scribus as it without needing for it to be formatted.

OpenOffice.org might be better, since Scribus can import formatted OO.o
text into text frames.

> > 	- Create ads as EPS files then import them into the pages. This
> > 	  helps further separate the various chunks of work and let
> > 	  people work on an ad while the page with that ads is being
> > 	  worked on by someone else.
> > 	  This might not work so great in Scribus because linked EPS/PDF
> > 	  files are presently rasterised on import. If that's OK for
>
> I've no idea what that means. :-)

OK... PDF and EPS are formats that can contain raster ("bitmap") and
vector (line/shape) information. Vector info can be rasterised -
converted to bitmaps - but the reverse is harder and less relaible.
Typically, it's preferable to retain vector information as vector
information, because vector data is generally both more accurate
(infinitely zoomable and scalable) and smaller. Scribus has to rasterise
any vector information in a PDF/EPS file placed in an image frame in
order to output it in a PDF.

In DTP, vector information can also carry more specific information on
colour spaces etc. You can have a PDF with greyscale and CMYK data in it
for example. It also permits the RIP to be "smarter" about things like
overprinting and dithering.

For some uses, that's fine. For others, either the loss of precision,
loss of extra info (such as the rasterisation of text) or the greater
file size, can be a problem.

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 11:11 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 17:37 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
>

> > 	- Use one file per page to avoid access conflicts. Our printers
> > 	  want one PDF file per page anyway, so this works well. We'd
> > 	  just integrate the pages in Adobe Acrobat if they wanted a
> > 	  single document.
>
> Another question, how does one integrate the pages into 1 scribus doc?
> Or we really have to go back to Adobe Acrobat Pro?

I've always just used Acrobat, because that's what I have on hand. There
are links to PDF tools on the Scribus website that should be useful for
this, though.

> And is there any way to copy and paste a complete Page in Scribus from 1
> scribus file into another? What about the text formatting? Is there any
> way to do that copy and paste with the subs intact?

Copy & paste, or use Page->Import... in 1.3 or File->Import->Page in 1.2.2 .

--
Craig Ringer