[Scribus] How do you guys share scribu files for collaboration?

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng
Tue Jun 21 07:18:32 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 12:13 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 11:07 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 17:37 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
>
> > I guess I have to learn how to sub the text in gedit so that it can be
> > imported into scribus as it without needing for it to be formatted.
>
> OpenOffice.org might be better, since Scribus can import formatted OO.o
> text into text frames.

Ooohh. learnt something new today. Next will be the need to try them
out. Then will still need to educate contributors . (that's gonna be a
pain :0)

> > > 	- Create ads as EPS files then import them into the pages. This
> > > 	  helps further separate the various chunks of work and let
> > > 	  people work on an ad while the page with that ads is being
> > > 	  worked on by someone else.
> > > 	  This might not work so great in Scribus because linked EPS/PDF
> > > 	  files are presently rasterised on import. If that's OK for
> >
> > I've no idea what that means. :-)
>
> OK... PDF and EPS are formats that can contain raster ("bitmap") and
> vector (line/shape) information. Vector info can be rasterised -
> converted to bitmaps - but the reverse is harder and less relaible.
> Typically, it's preferable to retain vector information as vector
> information, because vector data is generally both more accurate
> (infinitely zoomable and scalable) and smaller. Scribus has to rasterise
> any vector information in a PDF/EPS file placed in an image frame in
> order to output it in a PDF.

Ah. and in the process lose the Zoom/scalabity of those.

> In DTP, vector information can also carry more specific information on
> colour spaces etc. You can have a PDF with greyscale and CMYK data in it
> for example. It also permits the RIP to be "smarter" about things like
> overprinting and dithering.
>
> For some uses, that's fine. For others, either the loss of precision,
> loss of extra info (such as the rasterisation of text) or the greater
> file size, can be a problem.
>
> On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 11:11 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 17:37 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> >

> > > 	- Use one file per page to avoid access conflicts. Our printers
> > > 	  want one PDF file per page anyway, so this works well. We'd
> > > 	  just integrate the pages in Adobe Acrobat if they wanted a
> > > 	  single document.
> >
> > Another question, how does one integrate the pages into 1 scribus doc?
> > Or we really have to go back to Adobe Acrobat Pro?
>
> I've always just used Acrobat, because that's what I have on hand. There
> are links to PDF tools on the Scribus website that should be useful for
> this, though.

Adobe Acrobat Pro costs USD500 where I live for the legitimate copy or
USD1 for the "Ahem" copy but since I use FOSS......

> > And is there any way to copy and paste a complete Page in Scribus from 1
> > scribus file into another? What about the text formatting? Is there any
> > way to do that copy and paste with the subs intact?
>
> Copy & paste, or use Page->Import... in 1.3 or File->Import->Page in 1.2.2 .

Coool.. :-) thanks

--
Ow Mun Heng
98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!