[Scribus] How do you guys share scribu files for collaboration?

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng
Tue Jun 21 05:07:41 CEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 17:37 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 17:11 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > 	I'm wondering if anyone here uses scribus as a means to publish a
> > magazine, MyOSS Mag (http://mag.my-opensource.org) uses it for their
> > Online free mag.
> >
> > How are you guys doing it?

> 	- have all editorial done in word processors, subbed, and only
> 	  then imported into Quark

I guess I have to learn how to sub the text in gedit so that it can be
imported into scribus as it without needing for it to be formatted.

> 	- Use one file per page to avoid access conflicts. Our printers
> 	  want one PDF file per page anyway, so this works well. We'd
> 	  just integrate the pages in Adobe Acrobat if they wanted a
> 	  single document.

We don't do print versions, only online so this isn't too much of a
hassle. The problem I can see is as Louis mentioned is to count the
words to allocate the proper # of pages per story. This seems, to me,
counterintuitive. But it can be do-able still.

> 	- Create ads as EPS files then import them into the pages. This
> 	  helps further separate the various chunks of work and let
> 	  people work on an ad while the page with that ads is being
> 	  worked on by someone else.
> 	  This might not work so great in Scribus because linked EPS/PDF
> 	  files are presently rasterised on import. If that's OK for

I've no idea what that means. :-)

> Currently, no equivalents are available for Scribus. A copy management
> system has been discussed and there is quite a bit of interest in it,
> it's just a matter of finding the time and people to write it. A similar
> situation applies with "shared document" work, WebDAV support,
> document-in-database support, "externally linked text," etc.

> Right now, I'd probably use a shared filesystem - with reliable locking
> - and one file per page, and I'd do as much of my copy-editing as
> possible in external tools. It's not something I have to worry about
> since my Scribus use is currently just for myself.

That's not going to be too much of an issue if this is a DTP house.
However, we're a collection of misfits binded together to get something
out for the FOSS community. So, I'm searching for some way to share
the .sla and the graphics/text etc across the Internet. WebDAV would be
nice of sorts but it doesn't solve the locking issue.

>  Some sort of 'sla-diff' and 'sla-merge' would be awfully cool,
> though.

Ditto

> I'd be very interested in hearing how others go about things. Some
> information on various workflows, workflow options, desirable program
> features to improve workflows (and what folks feel is missing now)
> might be worth putting up on the wiki.

Well, right now, it's a 1 man show when it comes to the editing and
putting things together, so I can't help much in this respect.

--
Ow Mun Heng
98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!