[Scribus] Problem with PDF and AcroRead 7

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng
Wed Jun 15 18:31:56 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 12:22 -0400, Henry Hartley wrote:
> Last night I finished up a two page document in Scribus and created a
> PDF.  It's a fairly large document since it is mostly photographs,
> weighing in at 16MB.  It opened fine on my old Fedora Core 1 machine at
> home.  I sent it to myself at work where I have access to a good printer
> and tried to open it in Acrobat Reader 7.0 (on Windows XP).  After 15
> minutes of hourglass with memory usage slowly rising to over the 700MB
> level (on a machine with 384MB of physical memory), I cancelled it.  I
> tried on another machine with similar results.  Then I found a copy of
> Reader 6.0 and it loaded and printed fine.  Any idea if this problem is
> a problem with Scribus or a problem with Acrobat Reader 7?  Further, if
> the problem lies with Scribus, any idea if is something that has been
> fixed since my (admittedly old) version 1.2?\

Funny.. when I published the MyOSS mag (a OSS Based magazine ->
http://mag.my-opensource.org) I have some problems/issues with the
generated PDFs as well.

1. XPDF will render it nice and fast
2. Acroread 7 on linux takes a noticeable more time to load the pages
(pgup/pgdn)
3. Acroread 5 on Windows has no issues. Pgup/pgdn is Fast
4. I've had one reader told me that it took close to 3 hours to print
out 32 pages of the magazine.

I'm running 1.2.1

--
Ow Mun Heng