[Scribus] Some font questions

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Mon Jun 6 20:01:29 CEST 2005

Gregory Pittman wrote:

> Maciej Hanski wrote:
>
>> Ok, I understand that this was to much to be asked before the week
>> end :)
>> Meanwhile, the number of questions has been reduced to these few ones:
>>

>> 1. Impact type face included in the MS Core package:     -What is
>> this font typically used for in printing?
>>
>>       Font sample:
>> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Darmowe_polskie_fonty_przeznaczone_do_druku#Impact
>>

> I note that I have Impact in Wordperfect 8, and indicating that it is
> a Truetype font.  I don't know what that means about copyright, etc.

This site: http://www.linotype.com/13319/impact-font.html  wants to sell
you a license for Impact, with lots of restrictions -- sounds like no
embedding.
The Microsoft FAQ site
(http://www.microsoft.com/typography/faq/faq8.htm) says this:

TrueType core fonts for the Web FAQ

*Q* Microsoft no longer distributes the Web core fonts, so why is the
FAQ still here?

*A* This FAQ is being kept in place for those who downloaded the fonts
before we discontinued the program and for those who downloaded them
from elsewhere.

*Q* What can I do with these fonts?

*A* For all the rules that govern the use of these fonts please read the
end user license agreement
<http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/eula.htm>.

    * Anyone can download and install these fonts for their own use.
    * Designers can specify the fonts within their Web pages. Our guide
      to specifying fonts in Web pages
      <http://www.microsoft.com/typography/web/default.htm> explains how
      to do this.
    * You may only redistribute the fonts in their original form (.exe
      or .sit.hqx) and with their original file name from your Web site
      or intranet site.
    * You must *not* supply the fonts, or any derivative fonts based on
      them, in any form that adds value to commercial products, such as
      CD-ROM or disk based multimedia programs, application software or
      utilities. See Microsoft's permissions site
      <http://www.microsoft.com/permission/copyrgt/cop-soft.htm#Fonts>
      for more details.

So it sounds like you cannot embed them.  You would have to make sure
your printer has a license.  On the other hand, if you were only going
to use them on your own computer, it wouldn't matter.

Greg