[Scribus] Some font questions

PLinnell mrdocs
Mon Jun 6 22:22:49 CEST 2005

Hi,

These notes are part of an addtion I am making to the 1.2.2 docs.

On Monday 06 June 2005 18:41, Maciej Hanski wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 11:20:22 +0200
>
> Maciej Hanski <ma_han2000 at yahoo.de> wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >

> 2. Luxi Mono, Luxi Sans, Luxi Serif:
> 	-How much pro quality are these typefaces?

I've not seen print or PDF related errors in my testing in any of the
Luxi fonts. This includes using EPS and PDFs on win32 and Macs.

> 	-Luxi Serif is a modern typeface, right?
Yes, and Luxi Sans Mono is a decent mono space font.
> 	-What are these fonts typically used for?

Luxi Sans is a great UI font if you like the style. RH8 used this as
the default, but used a bit too much anti-aliasing for my taste. RH9
was much better.

Luxi Serif Regular is a bit too narrow or condensed for lengthy text
in my opinion, but for call outs or a contrasting section, it works
fine.

There are true type versions of Luxi available, but be warned they
will not display well on Win32 owing to hinting tailored to X11. They
will print fine however. The Vera family is somewhat the same.. they
look better on a modern X11 release than Win32 in my experience.

> 	Font sample:
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Darmowe_polskie_fonty_przeznaczon
>e_do_druku#Luxi_Mono
>
> 3. URW Gothic L Book and Century Schoolbook L.	These fonts are
> included into the Ghostscript Standard Package (e.g.  "emerge
> gnu-gs-fonts-std" on Gentoo) and "cyrrilized" by Valek Filipov
>
>   	- How much pro quality are these typefaces?
>   	- What is Gothic L Book typically used for?

Gothic is mostly for headline, short bodies of text and can be used
for advertising. I've seen the Adobe counterpart, Avant Garde used
extensively in advertising, brochures, invitations and other pieces.

>        Font samples:
>
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Darmowe_polskie_fonty_przeznaczon
>e_do_druku#Century_Schoolbook_L
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Darmowe_polskie_fonty_przeznaczon
>e_do_druku#URW_Gothic_L_Book
>

> ANY help will be appreciated
> Maciej

It is a mixed bag with  "cyrrilized" fonts based on the URW++
originals.

There have been many different releases merged into the gs-fonts
collection and I also understand the motivation of distros for using
them. Good freely available Cyrillic fonts are not wide spread. Bugs
in Fontforge have caused issues with some of the releases, which
required re-issuing the fonts a few times.

I know for example, one of the URW++ fonts shipped with Suse 9.x gets
dropped on loading in 1.3 with the sanity checks being done by
Scribus. Yes, this was duly reported to Suse, as well.

Scribus by design (to prevent crashes) and by capability (it does
things with fonts few free apps can do). Scribus will be by necessity
far fussier about fonts than most other apps.

I can recommend trying the artifex release of the URW fonts in true
type form. Plus there are additional faces which are nicely done like
Classico and Coronet.

Peter