[Scribus] Some font questions

frank gaude' tanzen
Mon Jun 6 19:40:27 CEST 2005

Gregory Pittman wrote:

> Maciej Hanski wrote:
>
>> Ok, I understand that this was to much to be asked before the week
>> end :)
>> Meanwhile, the number of questions has been reduced to these few ones:
>>

>> 1. Impact type face included in the MS Core package:     -What is
>> this font typically used for in printing?
>>
>>       Font sample:
>> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Darmowe_polskie_fonty_przeznaczone_do_druku#Impact
>>

> I note that I have Impact in Wordperfect 8, and indicating that it is
> a Truetype font.  I don't know what that means about copyright, etc.

I'm no lawyer but have been around them long enough to say "it's okay to
distribute such fonts as long as you don't try to sell them." I say this
because all the Microsoft fonts that come with their OSs are on their
web sites for all to download. They are copyrighted but are like
freeware. Here's what the header of Impact says: "Digitized data
copyright(C) 1991-1996 The Monotype Corporation. All rights reserved.
Impact is a trademark of Stephenson Blake (Holdings) Ltd."

Microsoft has contracted with many type foundries to be able to give
away their fonts, that package that is on their web site and included
with their OSs.

Frank