[Scribus] How to install version 1.3

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Fri Jun 3 21:50:51 CEST 2005

Craig Ringer wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 08:12 -0400, John wrote:
>

>>I wanted to play with version 1.3.
>>
>>Like, maybe I can install Fedora Core 3,
>>and add 2 packages and then it will work....?
>>

>I use Fedora Core 3. All you need to do is install the appropriate
>-devel packages for the requirements. There's even a list of specific
>package names for Fedora Core 3 in the BUILDING file. If, after
>installing the packages on that list, it won't build, please file a bug
>or post here to let me know and I'll look into it since I use FC3.

I would agree with Craig...Linux is Linux is Linux, but I also use FC3,
and the nice thing is, once you have all the packages installed, if you
regularly update your system with yum or apt-get you will stay well
ahead of any requirements or advantages from up to date versions.  The
one package that I note perhaps isn't so is ghostscript -- I update
regularly and FC3 tells me it is using v7.07 (but this is adequate for
operation of Scribus 1.2 and 1.3).

With *any* distro, there isn't any standard install that will get you
everything you need (I suppose if you told FC3 to install "everything"
that would cover it, but that eats hard drive space and install time
like crazy) -- best to do a custom install so you know you're getting
everything you need, then immediately update.

LCMS is a requirement for v1.3 -- there is an FC3 rpm for that.

I don't think we yet know what problems FC4 (now at FC4-RC3) will bring
-- there is a major gcc version jump that may be problematic.  FC3 is
often said to be "bleeding edge", FC4 may lead to gnashing of teeth and
excessive hemorrhaging at present.  We probably need the wild and crazy
guys like Paul to tell us when FC4 is OK.

Greg