[Scribus] How to install version 1.3

Craig Ringer craig
Fri Jun 3 14:28:24 CEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 08:12 -0400, John wrote:
> I wanted to play with version 1.3.  So I did the CVS thing; that went
> fine.  Then I came to ./configure.  Sheesh, I need this, I need that,
> I need that, seemed like a thousand things weren't right.

Yep. It's frustrating, I know - I used to have the same problems when
getting started with *nix (quite some time ago - things were even
worse).

There is, however, documentation on EXACTLY what you need. Please read
the `README' and `BUILDING' files shipped with 1.3cvs for details.

> Is there SOME DISTRO that installs pretty close to what the Scribus
> 1.3 configure process wants?

Most modern distros will do the job nicely. The only thing you're likely
to need is LittleCMS. We recently added a strong recommendation for
Freetype 2.1.9 but it's not required (yet - it might be later).

> Like, maybe I can install Fedora Core 3,
> and add 2 packages and then it will work....?

I use Fedora Core 3. All you need to do is install the appropriate
-devel packages for the requirements. There's even a list of specific
package names for Fedora Core 3 in the BUILDING file. If, after
installing the packages on that list, it won't build, please file a bug
or post here to let me know and I'll look into it since I use FC3.

> Just wondering.  1.21 is working ok for me, so I don't want to kill
> myself to get 1.3 installed, but if it wasn't too hard....?

I didn't think there were /that/ many differences.

--
Craig Ringer