[Scribus] pictures too dark

PLinnell mrdocs
Sat Jul 23 00:00:15 CEST 2005

On Friday 22 July 2005 22:06, robert wrote:
> On Friday 22 July 2005 13:48, Craig Bradney wrote:
> > >
> > > A follow-up:
> > >
> > > I found an old copy of Scribus (1.2.1, Jan 08, 2005) on my HD,
> > > so I decided to see if that has the same problem. I created two
> > > new pdfs, containing the exact same picture, one from Scribus
> > > 1.2.1 and the other in Scribus 1.3.0. Surprise! The 1.2.1
> > > version displays just fine, while the 1.3.0 pdf is too dark. I
> > > checked the export options and can't find any differences.
> > >
> > > Then I got another idea, "What if I load the image up in the
> > > GIMP and convert it to jpg?". It was originally a png (with an
> > > alpha channel). Well, I did that and now the jpg based 1.3.0
> > > pdf displays fine. So it looks like a Scribus problem after
> > > all, but it only affects Reader in Linux. Arggggh! Well, at
> > > least I have a work around.
> > >
> > > Can anyone with a more current Scribus (after July 14, 2005
> > > build) confirm this for me? Do pngs display too dark? I'll file
> > > a bug report, but I'd like to know it's not just me first.
> >
> > You will still get issues with dark images with JPG format on
> > Acro Reader on Linux. It will depend on the PDF version etc you
> > are exporting as transparency is one of the things that triggers
> > it. There is an Acro Reader bug as Peter has said.
> >
> > Craig
>
> OK, except for two things: 1) JPG doesn't support transparency, and
> 2) I did not get the same behavior using Scribus 1.2.1 (using the
> original png image).
>
> Does 1.2.1 do something, or not do something, that 1.3.0 does?

You must explicitely enable transparency in 1.2.x to enable PDF 1.4
features. 1.3.x will automatically enable transparency *if* you
export PDF 1.4.

It is *exactly* the combination of transparency plus exporting
"Screen/Web " or RGB PDF which seems to trigger the poor colors in
Reader 7. We now have a fair amont of example files which exhibit
this behaviour in Reader 7. An RGBA png will trigger this pretty
reliably and in some cases cause some extreme shifts of color. This
has been re-produced by others with PDF files not created in Scribus
at all.

I took the file you provided and exported PDF from both 1.2.2.1 with
transparency enabled and 1.3.1cvs  for PDF 1.4.

The results look very much the same in Reader 7, Reader 5 and most
tellingly in Photoshop 6 when I compare them side by side. If
anything the 1.2.2.1 PDF looks *very* slightly darker in Photoshop 6.
When I use the color picker, the colors on the edge pixels match very
very closely.

So, in this case, I remain convinced its a bug in Acro 7 on Linux. Is
Scribus doing something wrong ? No, it just creates PDF in a way
which can trigger it easily.

Cheers,

Peter