[Scribus] pictures too dark

robert robert
Sat Jul 23 03:32:52 CEST 2005

On Friday 22 July 2005 15:33, Craig Bradney wrote:
<snip>

> > OK, except for two things: 1) JPG doesn't support transparency, and 2) I
> > did not get the same behavior using Scribus 1.2.1 (using the original png
> > image).
> >
> > Does 1.2.1 do something, or not do something, that 1.3.0 does?
>
> Did you have the display transparency option turned on in 1.2.1? Whether
> JPG supports transparency or not is irrelevant if the PDF is exported into
> a version that supports transparency.
>
> Can you send me the PNG for testing?
<snip>
To Craig and PLindell:

Please don't mistake my obstinance for being ungrateful. You are really trying
to help me and I do appreciate the time and effort you are spending.

I double checked and transparency is checked in the preferences for 1.2.1. One
of the pngs I've notice this with is at
"http://www.spotswood-computer.net/test/f9_frame_matting.png".

Perhaps this picture (http://www.spotswood-computer.net/test/screen_shot.jpg)
will help explain my confusion. This image was combined (in the GIMP) from
two screenshots of Reader. Same starting image, same reader (7 on Linux), but
different darkness. The 1.2.1 version is fine, but 1.3.0 is not. Transparency
*IS* turned on in 1.2.1.

If it is a Reader bug (which I would really, really, like to believe), the
images should be the same right??? But they aren't. Why would a transparency
bug in Reader affect a 1.3.0 pdf but not a 1.2.1 pdf? Maybe there are two
issues here: the Reader bug, *AND* a Scribus bug???

Why the type is different is another issue. Same font, size, and both
embedded.

If it helps, both the generated pdfs and sla files are also available at:

http://www.spotswood-computer.net/test/dark_121.pdf
http://www.spotswood-computer.net/test/dark_121.sla
http://www.spotswood-computer.net/test/dark_130.pdf
http://www.spotswood-computer.net/test/dark_130.sla