[Scribus] splash screen

Benjamin Green ben
Mon Jul 18 15:15:19 CEST 2005

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:04:57 +0100, <netkat at comcast.net> wrote:

> "DTP" may be more familiar to some people, but
> speaking as an Art Director, I can tell you that
> it isn't a term looked upon favorably by
> designers. It's placed in the category something
> done by tourists, wankers, hobbyists and
> dabblers. My suggestion of different wording is
> not to confuse people accustomed to one term, but
> rather to INclude an entire profession by
> offering more accurate descriptive words of what
> Scribus is.

I thought I would look at the debian package info, below are the first
three paragraphs. Note that the terms page layout and DTP are both used. I
think you are right though, DTP was a nineties buzz word, page layout is a
professional activity.

  Scribus is a desktop page layout program for GNU/Linux similar to
  Corel Ventura(R), Quark Xpress(R), Adobe PageMaker(R) and InDesign(R).
  .
  Scribus can be used for many tasks; from brochure design to newspapers,
  magazines, newsletters and posters to technical documentation. It has
  sophisticated page layout features like precision placing and rotating of
text
  and/or images on a page, manual kerning of type, bezier curves polygons,
  precision placement of objects, layering with RGB and CMYK custom colors.
The
  Scribus document file format is XML-based. Unlike proprietary binary file
  formats, even damaged documents, can be recovered with a simple text
editor.
  .
  Scribus supports professional DTP features, such as CMYK color and a
  color management system to soft proof images for high quality color
printing,
  flexible PDF creation options, Encapsulated PostScript import/export and
  creation of 4 color separations, import of EPS/PS and SVG as native vector
  graphics, Unicode text including right to left scripts such as Arabic and
  Hebrew via freetype. Graphic formats which can be placed in Scribus as
images
  include PDF, Encapsulated Post Script (eps), TIFF, JPEG, PNG and
XPixMap(xpm),
  and any bitmap type supported by QT3.

Ben Green