[Scribus] splash screen

netkat at comcast.net netkat
Mon Jul 18 13:04:57 CEST 2005

"DTP" may be more familiar to some people, but
speaking as an Art Director, I can tell you that
it isn't a term looked upon favorably by
designers. It's placed in the category something
done by tourists, wankers, hobbyists and
dabblers. My suggestion of different wording is
not to confuse people accustomed to one term, but
rather to INclude an entire profession by
offering more accurate descriptive words of what
Scribus is.

Plus, 'DTP' doesn't especially mean anything.
With respect to creating and printing from a
computer environment, any application could be
said to offer "desktop publishing" provided you
can hit "print" within that app, and have output
come out thru a printer.

Word could be considered DTP under that
definition. But what differentiates Scribus,
Quark and InDesign from, say, Gimp or Painter or
Open Office or Photoshop (all of which offer
"Print") is that these three applications are
used to lay out publications, page by page,
affording a level of control and a tool set not
found in the others.

Looked at another way, a car and a boat are both
vehicles, but you wouldn't attempt to drive a car
across the ocean..

netkat