[Scribus] Installation problem in Fedora Core 4

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Fri Jul 15 23:30:33 CEST 2005

Petr Van?k wrote:

>On Friday 15 of July 2005 22:17, Robert R. Di Giorgio wrote:
>

>>When I ran RPM on scribus-1.2.2.1-0.fc4.i686.rpm, the installation
>>failed with the message that scribus needed liblcms.so.1. I already had
>>that file in the system, but I put a copy in the scribus directory with
>>the rpm package, so there should be no problem finding it. But I  kept
>>getting the same failure. What do I have to do to get scribus to find
>>liblcms?
>>

>hi Robert
>As I know RPM systems your copying was really unecessary. RPM package reads
>system dependencies from its database so you need to have same lcms package
>which specify the package creator.
>What it writes exactly when you try to install tha package?

Actually, you can get these dependencies-from-hell problems with RPM. It
may be that you installed your lcms by another means, in which case RPM
can't find it. You can always try 'ldconfig' as root, but my experience
is that won't work to help with RPM issues.

What you really want to use is YUM (which installs RPMs). Yum will check
for dependencies AND get them. My recollection is that lcms and
lcms-devel are in the Extras (and probably Livna) repositories, so you
have to have repos.d set up. When I upgraded to FC4, it seemed that the
Extras repo was set up automatically.

Greg