[Scribus] PDF to HTML?

Craig Bradney cbradney
Thu Jul 14 12:40:11 CEST 2005

On Thursday 14 July 2005 04:19, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 12:36 +0200, Craig Bradney wrote:
> > On Wednesday 13 July 2005 10:39, Kurt Lhotzky wrote:
> > > I have the following problem:
> > >
> > > I have installed one Linux-program (pdf to html) and one
> > > window$-program (running under WINE) to convert scribus-created PDFs to
> > > HTML.
> > > Unfortunately, both programs don't create results properly. It seems
> > > that they cannot convert the fonts that I use in my documents. Has
> > > anyone an idea what to do?
> >
> > Subset (convert to outlines in current Scribus code)? Make sure your html
> > can see your fonts too.
> >
> > Wait until I write the exporter.. :)
>
> I wait with abated breathe. This would really be very useful. Currently
> using pdftohtml and pdf2html doesn't work well. Pics come out great
> though. Only the text is screwed. (but isn't that the most important?)
>
> > > Second question: The file-size of PDFs is still very large (compared,
> > > for instance, with documents created with Quark and the Acrobat
> > > distiller). Is there a simple way to reduce the file-size?
> >
> > Reduce the number of fonts embedded, increase compression at the risk of
> > quality loss. It will depend on the content. I can get a 300dpi 24 page
> > magazine in 12mb with lots of images and plenty of fonts.. I'm pretty
> > happy. ID2 couldnt do any or much better.
>
> 12MB? I'm aiming for like 3MB max.

Well I have 21 MB of fonts and images in that magazine. Most of those are at
300dpi, I aim for quality as this magazine is destined for printing. I could
easily drop the images down to 100dpi or similar and get a smaller mag.

Oh, and it was done with 1.3.0cvs :) :) :) :)

http://www.rccaustralia.com/magazines/20050506col.pdf (if you are interested).

Craig