[Scribus] PDF to HTML?

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng
Thu Jul 14 04:19:10 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 12:36 +0200, Craig Bradney wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 July 2005 10:39, Kurt Lhotzky wrote:
> > I have the following problem:
> >
> > I have installed one Linux-program (pdf to html) and one window$-program
> > (running under WINE) to convert scribus-created PDFs to HTML.
> > Unfortunately, both programs don't create results properly. It seems
> > that they cannot convert the fonts that I use in my documents. Has
> > anyone an idea what to do?
>
> Subset (convert to outlines in current Scribus code)? Make sure your html can
> see your fonts too.
>
> Wait until I write the exporter.. :)

I wait with abated breathe. This would really be very useful. Currently
using pdftohtml and pdf2html doesn't work well. Pics come out great
though. Only the text is screwed. (but isn't that the most important?)

> > Second question: The file-size of PDFs is still very large (compared,
> > for instance, with documents created with Quark and the Acrobat
> > distiller). Is there a simple way to reduce the file-size?
>
> Reduce the number of fonts embedded, increase compression at the risk of
> quality loss. It will depend on the content. I can get a 300dpi 24 page
> magazine in 12mb with lots of images and plenty of fonts.. I'm pretty happy.
> ID2 couldnt do any or much better.

12MB? I'm aiming for like 3MB max.

<shameless plug>
MyOSS Mag http://mag.my-opensource.org - Scribus Made :-)