[Scribus] suse 9.2

tjakabfy tjakabfy
Thu Jan 13 19:41:53 CET 2005

Robert Kaiser wrote:

> bart at solozone.com schrieb:
>
>> I use both SuSE 9.0 and 9.1 and I am ready to upgrade to 9.2. But I
>> hear it has partially proprietary kernel? Moreover, they do not put
>> all their programs on CDs but only on a two sided(?) DVD and my 9.2
>> does not have a DVD reader; the other one does or very soon will
>> (tomorrow).
>> Do you folks think I would be better off with Fedora? if so which?
>> Will I be missing programs, of which SuSE gives one a big number?
>

> I'm using SuSE 9.2 on a few machines and I don't see it having
> something proprietary in the kernel, they just deliver some
> proprietary drivers (in seperate packages) that you can install to
> support some hardware that doesn't hgave free drivers. But you'd have
> to download and install those drivers also for other Linux distros if
> you want to use that hardware - the others just might not include them
> in the standard distribution. SuSE 9.2 doesn't have very big changes
> to 9.1, it's just an update to all the software, and the kernel is a
> 2.6.8 with the usual set of patches applied (as with any other
> distro). The source code of that kernel is supplied as a source rpm
> package as well.
>
> The main thing is that some packages are only on the (double-layer,
> not double-sided) DVD, most of them are packages that most users don't
> need - the only not-so-good thing I spotted is that Scribus is one of
> those packages.
> But you might be better off to install a newer Scribus like 1.2.1 anyway.
>
> I'm still very satisfied with SuSE, also with 9.2, and I didn't see
> them go more proprietary - on the contrary, they (Novell) even are
> about to release their big (and IMO great) configuration tool YaST as
> open source.
>
> Robert Kaiser

Hi:

I run and use Mandrake 9.2, 10.0, SuSE 9.1, 9.2, Fedora Core2 and Core 3
as well as Xandros 2.0 Business Edition. And 2 copies of Windows 98SE
just for testing. These are spread over  3 machines which are networked
and all have "dual" (multiple) boot.... with GRUB !

Mandrake has seen NOT to put the newest KDE and software into their
packages. Mandrake 10.0 came with the 1.2 version of GIMP! I still
prefer Mandrake 9.2 over 10.0. Mandrake had been my preferred distro up
to 10.0. All my work was done on Mdk 9.2

Fedora Core 2 was OK but Core 3 is better... but there is not a huge
difference. Most of the software is fairly up to date.

Although you might not see a huge difference between SuSE 9.1 and 9.2, I
have found several. The software and KDE is more current than Mandrake
10.0. Quanta+, which I use a lot for web pages  is much better on SuSE
9.2 (Pro version).

Linux Format magazine has just rated the current best distros as
Mandrake 10.1, Fedora Core 3 and SuSE 9.2 as 1 2 and 3. I would put
these 3 in reverse order.

Getting Fedora Core 2 and 3 networked and talking to SuSE was a real
struggle. Even getting Core 2 to talk to Core 3 (on different machines)
was difficult. Now, they all chatter away and file share nicely.

The one thing that I don't like about Fedora that no one has yet picked
up on is FSTAB. This has now been "automated" on Fedora Core3 using HAL.
It did NOT identify my Windows partition even though GRUB does. Go figure !
BTW, SuSE finds EVERTHING and it uses a REISER FS.

I am rambling....

The BOTTOM LINE...

 IMHO SuSE 9.2 (Pro)  is the BEST of all of the ones that I am currently
using.

Tom