[Scribus] suse 9.2

Robert Kaiser KaiRo
Thu Jan 13 18:31:36 CET 2005

bart at solozone.com schrieb:
> I use both SuSE 9.0 and 9.1 and I am ready to upgrade to 9.2. But I hear it has partially proprietary kernel? Moreover, they do not put all their programs on CDs but only on a two sided(?) DVD and my 9.2 does not have a DVD reader; the other one does or very soon will (tomorrow).
> Do you folks think I would be better off with Fedora? if so which? Will I be missing programs, of which SuSE gives one a big number?

I'm using SuSE 9.2 on a few machines and I don't see it having something
proprietary in the kernel, they just deliver some proprietary drivers
(in seperate packages) that you can install to support some hardware
that doesn't hgave free drivers. But you'd have to download and install
those drivers also for other Linux distros if you want to use that
hardware - the others just might not include them in the standard
distribution. SuSE 9.2 doesn't have very big changes to 9.1, it's just
an update to all the software, and the kernel is a 2.6.8 with the usual
set of patches applied (as with any other distro). The source code of
that kernel is supplied as a source rpm package as well.

The main thing is that some packages are only on the (double-layer, not
double-sided) DVD, most of them are packages that most users don't need
- the only not-so-good thing I spotted is that Scribus is one of those
packages.
But you might be better off to install a newer Scribus like 1.2.1 anyway.

I'm still very satisfied with SuSE, also with 9.2, and I didn't see them
go more proprietary - on the contrary, they (Novell) even are about to
release their big (and IMO great) configuration tool YaST as open source.

Robert Kaiser