[Scribus] Compile error 1.2.1 on Ubuntu

Craig Ringer craig
Tue Jan 11 05:57:49 CET 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 23:10 -0500, Jozsef Mak wrote:

> This is a snippet from config.log file that i could find relating to qt-mt
> library.

Ok, here's what's happening. Configure attempts to compile a code
snippet it generated as a test for whether Qt is present and works:

> configure:40081: rm -rf SunWS_cache; g++ -o conftest -Wnon-virtual-dtor
> -Wno-long-long -Wundef -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align
> -Wconversion -Wchar-subscripts -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -O2
> -Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribute -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new
> -fno-common -I/usr/share/qt3/include -I/usr/X11R6/include
> -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT  -D_REENTRANT  -L/usr/share/qt3/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib
> conftest.cc -lnsl  -lqt-mt -lpng -lz -lm -ljpeg -ldl  -lXext -lX11 -lSM
> -lICE  -lpthread 1>&5

gcc prints this message:

> conftest.cc:8:2: #error 1

and exits with status '1', which configure notices:

> configure:40084: $? = 1

Configure prints the text of the failed program:

> configure: failed program was:
> #include "confdefs.h"
> #include <qglobal.h>
> #include <qapplication.h>
> #include <qcursor.h>
> #include <qstylefactory.h>
> #include <private/qucomextra_p.h>

That program includes code to check the value of QT_VERSION that's
defined in the Qt includes and abort with error code 1 during
compilation if the value is too low:

> #if ! (QT_VERSION >= 0x030300)
> #error 1
> #endif

As we saw above, when configure compiled the program it did abort with
error code 1, so the Qt headers think your Qt version is older than
3.3.

Have a look around your system and make sure you don't have multiple
versions of Qt installed. Look for multiple copies of
'qglobal.h' (that's where QT_VERSION is defined). You can use 'dpkg
-S /path/to/qglobal.h' to find out what package the specified file is
in, and 'dpkg -l' to ask what version that package is, eg:

craig:~$ dpkg -S /usr/include/qt3/qglobal.h
libqt3-headers: /usr/include/qt3/qglobal.h
craig:~$  dpkg -l libqt3-headers
ii  libqt3-headers 3.3.3-7        Qt3 header files

If you really NEED old versions of Qt installed as well, either remove
the -dev packages containing their headers, or explicitly specify which
version to use with the --with-qt-includes argument to configure and/or
by setting your CPATH environment variable.

--
Craig Ringer