[Scribus] 250-300 page book

Louis Desjardins louisdesjardins
Wed Jan 5 18:02:17 CET 2005

>  > Anyways - I'm looking for tips and suggestions for doing 250-350 page book
>  > projects in Scribus. Our books will feature lots of screen captures. One of

Hi,

1. As Craig points out, grab the most updated version of Scribus,
it's getting better everyday!
2. One big issue will be text formatting so be careful (see below).
3. Pics shouldn't slow down the whole process per se. Maybe depend on
the machine.

Having a separate file for each chapter is a good idea.
Bug #0001235: "Custom page start number on new document and in
document setup" is still open.
Until that bug is solved, you will have to assemble your document in
the end for all the page numbers to be there, unless your book has a
page numbering pattern that includes the chapter # in front of the
page number, as we often see in docs. Then of course, there will be
no issue for page numbering.
I would thoroughly edit the text in OpenOffice.org or the like as to
leave the very least text editing possible in Scribus as this is time
consuming. (yet)
Use stylesheets in OO.o and import them in Scribus.
Don't forget the stylesheets for lines.
Use templates, guides, etc.

A well organized and prepared work should not be a pain at all in
Scribus. Quite the opposite, imo.

Be careful with last minute changes as some are a bit difficult to
achieve: page size change is one of them.

Just remember, as of now - and it could change fast - Scribus is more
"at home" with small to medium chunks of text. This is why it should
work just fine with a work broken into chapters.

At output, you will be delighted by the PDF capabilities of Scribus.

The people on this list will do their best to help you out.

Happy new year!

Louis