[Scribus] 250-300 page book

Randolph Bentson bentson
Wed Jan 5 17:44:55 CET 2005

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 04:48:05PM +0100, Peter Nermander wrote:
> > Anyways - I'm looking for tips and suggestions for doing 250-350 page book
> > projects in Scribus. Our books will feature lots of screen captures. One of
>
> For such large books I think LyX would be more suitable, although modifying
> LaTeX styles is a pain... (Before I discovered Scribus my dream was to find
> a graphical LaTeX style editor:-)

I've used Scribus to create several cookbooks.  They were all laid out
such that I could write a script which read structured recipe sources
and generated pages.  Because there was a close relation of recipe/page
the task wasn't too hard for a Python layout script.

Had the text been continuous, the task would have been much harder or
impossible, but now that there's discussion about scripts accessing text
box layout information, there's hope for continuous text layout as well.

I've also written a book using LaTeX.  I used standard page styles with
minimal changes.  I would of dreaded writing significant TeX/LaTeX styles.

--
Randolph Bentson
bentson at holmsjoen.com