[Scribus] I'm looking for a Portable Document Format (not PDF)

Steve Herrick estebandido
Wed Feb 16 18:19:47 CET 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 00:56:06 +0800, Craig Ringer
<craig at postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:

> True. I don't think it really qualifies as a particularly good format
> for document transport and viewing though, at least not for DTP
> documents. As far as I know it's just not made for precision layout and
> control, and lacks *many* of the features needed by DTP apps from their
> final output formats.
>
> I'd be happy to be proved wrong, of course.

Well, you're right. As someone said not too long ago, word processing
is about content, and DTP is about space. Most folks don't require the
precision that Scribus provides. We do, and that's why we love
Scribus, but there are lots of folks getting by without it.

> > Also, I've been talking to Phil Hughes, and he has someone who wants
> > to write an OOo reader for Mozilla. I reflected on that thought for a
> > while, and the more I did, the more amazed I was at the implications
> > and possibilities.
>
> That would be *extremely* cool.

This could be the advent of XML as a common web format. It makes my
head swim, imagining what that could mean.

Steve
--
Yes, as through this world I've wandered
I've seen lots of funny men;

-Woody Guthrie